Monday, October 15, 2007

McConnell's Musings


Troy Kramm: You picked up a tough win in Estevan on Saturday, how do you feel you played during the game?

Kyle McConnell: I think I made some key saves at key points in the game. It wasn't one of the best games I have ever played in my life but it was a big win for me. It was a real confidence boost for me and the team.

TK: The first goal that was scored on you looked like one you could have stopped, what happened on the shot?

KM: It was just a quick release shot that caught me off guard even though it shouldn't have. During the last few games I have been having trouble early on getting into the game. I have been letting a goal in during the first few shots, I am trying to really work on that.

TK: How do you rebound from goals like that?

KM: Over the past few years I have been really working on my game mentally. I just try to regroup from an early goal, take three deep breathes and pretend it never happens.

TK: You have had plenty of tough goals this year caused by bad hops, no whistles being blow and defensive lapses that you really can't be faulted on. Were you expecting a higher Win/Loss record, GAA and other stats this season?

KM: It's still early in the year and I think if I keep battling through those tough goals I will get better during the year. I have been working hard on my mental state of mind and hitting the gym a lot to get me in a postitive state of mind.

TK: I know you want to play every game during the season but how have you dealt sharing the workload with Whiffen? Do you guys have a friendly rivalry?

KM: We have a good relationship on and off the ice but as a 20 year old I want to play in as many games as possible. Whiffen is a great athletic goalie who can win games for the team but I feel that I have the experience as a 20 year old. I am counted on to be the stronger goalie due to my experience.

TK: Ok, it's prediction time. What will the score be versus La Ronge on Wednesday?

KM: La Ronge has been scoring pretty good lately but I think we can hold them off. I am gonna say 5-3 for us.

- Troy K

15 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont think experience should win the starting position.who ever is playing better should start!

Red Wings said...

McConnell is a goalie and a good guy, but then again so is Whiffen. Personally I think it has been fun seeing who will start each game and how both goalies play each and every night.

ALSO...Just a heads up,, I am planning an interview with Whiffen to post on the redwings homepage, that's for all Whiffen's friends and family. so keep an eye out for that.

Troy K

Anonymous said...

What is the deal with Erickson? I see him on the roster but I dont think I have even seen him suit up a game? What is the point of sticking around if your not even going to play?

Anonymous said...

Thanks Troy, Its nice to see something on Whiffen seems we are so far away and cant see the games.There is a lot of fan support here in Grand Falls-Windsor so keep up the good work and GO WINGS GO!!!

Anonymous said...

whiffen i think is the better goalie, and i think he will eventually get the starting role, he's just so calm, cool and collective for a 17 year old

Anonymous said...

Goaltending is an interesting subject with the Wings this year but it was nice to see Erickson start tonight against a team we are in a tight race against.Erickson played very well considering the oppurtunities he has beeen given and as a fan I would rather watch our local players than players from outside our Province.Erickson keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

local players dont win rbc cups.... you have to ice the best team possible

Anonymous said...

I would have to say that last comment is quite foolish. Thinking back to 2005, local players such as Kent Lillejord and Brendon Vertefeuille were very instrumental in winning the Royal Bank Cup for us. This year I bet local products such as Kyle Haines would be more than welcome on 11 other teams in this league. I will agree to disagree with your statement.

- Brad M.

Anonymous said...

I agree with both your comments concerning local players. However you do not use local players for the sake of using local players. Locals will help win the RBC if they have the skill and the talent and they know what their roles are. If you want to ice a championship team then just locals are not going to cut the mustard. And I am confident when I say that if your locls are losing all the time then the fan support will drop drastically, including yours.

Red Wings said...

Ah, I had this discussion with some people a while back.

I think the community would much rather see the team win than have their local players play. If the local's deserve the chance to play like they have for the past few years then give them a chance to take to the ice.

The hardcore Red Wings fans from the area would love to see Tanner Erickson in net every night as long as he is winning games but if a slump hits they would want to see Whiffen or McConnell in net as long as they can pick up some wins. Sometimes having a winnings record seems to be more important than anything else, but that's how the game goes.

-Troy K

Anonymous said...

I think what he meant was that you can't ice a full team just from the Town of Weyburn.You have to pick the best possible winning team if you want to make it to the RBC Cup. If you have locals who are good enought to be on the team, then they earned their spot.

Anonymous said...

Ok. That I definitely agree with. I have always said that you want to ice the best team possible. If it comes down to two kids of equal talent though and one is from Weyburn and the other is from BC, you have to go with the local kid. Good comments everyone.

- Brad M.

Anonymous said...

thats exactly what that comment meant

Anonymous said...

mcconnell's gone!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

that doesnt have to be said like it's a good thing...mcconnell is a good guy