Monday, October 29, 2007

Catching up with the coach!


Troy Kramm: First off in the game versus Flin Flon on Friday, the team played a defensively sound game and shut down the leagues top scoring unit of Reid MacLeod, Pierre-Luc Boucher and Dennis Kubat. What were the boys doing right in that game?

Dwight McMillan: I think the guys did a great job of shutting them down. I give credit to Calibaba who plays on the left side for shutting them down and I think Haines also did a superb job of shutting them down on left defense. The entire line of Calibaba, Bly and Needham shut down their big line and didn’t allow them much room on the ice, they were great for us out there.

TK: With Whiffen getting the shutout versus Flin Flon do you think you might go with him for the next few games rather than rotating him and Erickson?

McMillan: Oh you never know, but there is no doubt that he will be getting the start versus Notre Dame tomorrow.

TK: I am keeping this once nice and simple, I just want to know what went wrong versus Notre Dame on Saturday?

McMillan: We weren’t ready defensively. Notre Dame’s first three or four goals were ones that shouldn't have gone in, we just didn’t play very well in front of our goalie. We were only down 4-3 after the first then they scored two more in the second to take the wind out of our sails. The boys began to work hard but not smart which led to more scoring chances that they capitalized on. Overall I would have to say everyone from our goalie out just didn’t play well.

TK: Do you feel that nerves played a big role in Tanner Erickson’s performance as it was only his third SJHL start and with the trade of McConnell he may have felt pretty secure in his position?

McMillan: He wanted to prove himself and he did a good job at times, we didn’t play well in front of him on many of the goals he allowed and then there were some goals that he should have had. There are some things that we are going to work on in practice because we just let them get to our net way too much.

We got tied up in front and we can’t afford to tie ourselves up because you will get penalties that way, you just have to make sure you play from out in front.

TL: Speaking of penalties, do you feel the boys played undisciplined hockey in the third period or did they get unfair calls?

McMillan: Well I gotta say I think some of that was my doing, I told the ref that he was getting paid to screw up the game so I think he gave us a few more after that, but that’s how the game went.

TK: Are we going to see a completely different Red Wings team versus the Hounds on Tuesday?

McMillan: I hope so, I won’t be around to see it, I am leaving in the morning to Trail, BC for the World Junior A Challenge so Darcy (Pindus) will be running things here.

TK: How does the Team Canada West team look this year?

McMillan: It looks strong, we have a lot of great talent on the team but the Americans look strong as well. They have a lot of players from their major junior league this year and the Europeans are always tough as well.

TK: Are you looking forward to getting the chance to help coach in the Junior A Challenge again?

McMillan: It’s always a challenge when your playing world teams, I just hope I can learn some things and see what other teams are doing and bring some of what I learned back to the team.

-Troy Kramm

0 Comments: