Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Catching Up With Crockatt


I sat down with fan favourite Justin “don’t call me Davy” Crockatt before the team’s afternoon skate today to hear his thoughts on the upcoming playoffs among a couple of other things.

TK: When you first arrived we heard that you were going to be the guy to handle all of the ‘meatballs’ on the other teams, but I don’t think anyone was prepared for the impact you would truly have. With only 12 games played you have racked up 135 penalty minutes (3rd on the team). I want to know, what goes through your head on the ice? Does Justin Crockatt look for a fight or do you just let things happen?

Crockatt: I just go out there and use my size and I don’t let anyone go after our guys. I don’t think I am just out there to handle the ‘meatballs’. I create space for the smaller speedy players so they can have some room to go do their thing.

TK: Are you looking forward to the SJHL playoffs? They have reputation for being some long physical series that can really drain a team in a hurry are you prepared for it?

Crockatt: I am really looking forward to some long solid rounds. It should be a little different from SIJHL when it comes to the length of a series. It should be exciting with plenty of physical play that we all look forward to.

TK: This next question is from a fan who e-mailed me. They wanted to ask you who your toughest fight in the SJHL was so far?

Crockatt: Well Tony Oak(Battlefords) was pretty good. I thought that Beech(Melville) character was going to be a fun one but he was just too big to really get at. I also expected a lot more from that Thunder Chief(Kindersley) guy but he turned into a sponge when we got into it.

TK: How have you reacted to the fans that have quickly embraced you around Weyburn?

Crockatt: It has been great. I love the support and love to hear the fans making noise. That is what we need around here. We want people to come out and fill that barn for the playoffs.

TK: Is the team going to be well prepared for their first game versus Kindersley on Friday night?

Crockatt: We are all gonna be right ready to go. Some of the boys have been busy getting their injuries looked after while the others are ready and rested to go for the series.

0 Comments: